Sunday, March 18, 2007

on the word 'erosophy'

So this word, erosophy, is one that I've been playing with in the last few months to try and describe what my passion is. I adore wisdom literature, I adore the discourses of philosophy and theology, I also adore the world. How do I articulate my attentiveness, alongside the highly thoughtful discourses of the mind, to the body as well?

"Philosophy" means love of wisdom : philo + sophia. In the process of reading for a class called "Sexes, Genders and Theologies of Desire" I decided that my love of wisdom actually comes closer to an eros love that is interested and passionate than a philos love that is disinterested and distant.

And so in looking for a catchy title for my blog, I remembered this word. I'm not going to claim total credit for it, I'm sure others have thought of it, and just because I'd never heard it before my mind latched onto it, doesn't mean I can own the word. A quick google of the word reveals an interesting mix of people who have stumbled into its rich linguistic possibility.

I could probably just spend most of my time writing entries that reflect on the word 'erosophy'... what do you think of it?

No comments: